Our intent is that children at Straits Primary School will live a healthy and active lifestyle, understanding the impact that physical activity has on their bodies.
Through a range of activities and sports, they will practise and apply skills, in order to participate in competitive games and perform in front of an audience. In line with our school values, all children work as part of a team to develop good sportsmanship and fair play.
Our children will be provided with opportunities to develop leadership qualities within sporting activities.
Essential Characteristics in the subject.
· The ability to acquire new knowledge and skills exceptionally well and develop an in-depth understanding of PE.
· The willingness to practise skills in a wide range of different activities and situations, alone, in small groups and in teams and to apply these skills in chosen activities to achieve exceptionally high levels of performance.
· High levels of physical fitness.
· A healthy lifestyle, achieved by eating sensibly, avoiding smoking, drugs and alcohol and exercising regularly
· The ability to remain physically active for sustained periods of time and an understanding of the importance of this in promoting long term health and well-being.
· The ability to take the initiative and become excellent young leaders, organising and officiating, and evaluating what needs to be done to improve, and motivating and instilling excellent sporting attitudes in others.
· Exceptional levels of originality, imagination and creativity in their techniques, tactics and choreography, knowledge of how to improve their own and others’ performance and the ability to work independently for extended periods of time without the need of guidance or support.
· A keen interest in PE. A willingness to participate eagerly in every lesson, highly positive attitudes and the ability to make informed choices about engaging fully in extra-curricular sport.
· The ability to swim at least 25 metres before the end of Year 6 and knowledge of how to remain safe in and around water.