Primary and First School Applications for children starting school in September 2023.
In Dudley children start primary school the September after their 4th birthday. The law states all children must start school by the beginning of the term after their 5th birthday.
For all school admissions we recommend that you apply online, this means you will receive your decision via email after 2pm on the offer date.
- Online application available - 1 October 2022
- Return date for paper application forms - 15 January 2023 by 5pm*
- Return date for online applications - 15 January 2023 by midnight*
- Decision emails to parents - 17 April 2023 after 2pm
- Decision letters to parents - 17 April 2023 by 2nd class post
- Appeals to be heard - June/July 2023
Applying for a school place
You must apply for a school place through your home Local Authority (i.e. the authority that bill you for your council tax).
- The application must be made from the child's legal address. However, if you are moving or intending to move during the process please see Address Information below.
- You are strongly advised to make more than one preference. Failure to do so could have repercussions for the distance your child will have to travel to school. Also you will not gain an advantage by only listing one.
- You are able to submit up to five preferences on your application.
- You can apply for any school, including those outside the Dudley Authority. However, be realistic about the schools you apply for.
- There are no 'catchment' areas within Dudley. However, places are offered according to the admissions criteria detailed within the booklet 'A parents' guide to primary admissions'.
- If you are applying for an Academy, Free, Trust or Voluntary Aided school you may need to provide extra information or submit a supplementary information form (SIF).
- It is your responsibility to provide any supportive information e.g baptism certificate or medical evidence. The Local Authority will not seek to obtain this information on your behalf.
- We consider all applications at the same time. Priority is not given to those who put the school as a first preference, or on a 'first come first served basis'.
- Late applications will be considered after all those received on time.
- Note: Attendance at a nursery attached to a primary school will not guarantee admission to that particular primary school or give any advantage to the pupil in the admissions process.